V05/17 Melbourne (VIC) to Sydney (NSW)
28 Feb - 10 Mar 2017
38 19 S
148 48 E
Currently located 60nm to the SW of Point Hicks and experiencing strong 23-26kt easterly winds with a 2.5m ESE swell. Our current speed is 6kts and the temperature is 16 degrees.
Hi Everyone, Welcome to day four of our voyage. As forecast the wind strengthened to 25kts overnight and the swell increased to 2m which brought on bouts of seasickness in a number of the Youth Crew. By morning brief we were located 55nm to the south of Lakes Entrance sailing close hauled under fore and aft sail battling swell and current which was making it quite uncomfortable for all onboard. Given these conditions we conducted a quick set of cleaning stations then stood everyone down until lunch hoping that the conditions would improve. Unfortunately they didn’t, so after an early afternoons round of rope races we cancelled all planned activities for the rest of the afternoon with the only requirement being for those on watch still to keep their bridge watches. The time is now 1900 and the wind has backed to the east and is starting to moderate which is making it a little more comfortable for everyone. Overnight all of the watches will undertake the BEAREX (Teamwork and Communication Exercise) as we continue to make best speed to Twofold Bay and the town of Eden where we hope to anchor early tomorrow afternoon. Despite this patch of rough weather spirits are still high but I think everyone will enjoy reaching Eden tomorrow and being given the opportunity to set foot on ‘terra firma’ for a couple of hours. Until tomorrow evening, take care. Yours Aye Captain Gav