Captain's Log
Voyage 15/23
22 August 2023

Day 10 – Command Day Part 2

Ahoy there Shipmates,

As I was resting in my rack after a long days work onboard STS Young Endeavour my mind wandered what lay in stall for the future. Abruptly I was awoken from my slumber to the sound of Tommo’s voice over the pipe calling all hands to midships. Immediately I got shifted and started shaking all the boys who had seemed to had slept through the tender soothing voice of the XO. I never really appreciated the late night wakeups at Recruit School, but never did I know they would kick in when I needed it most . Climbing to the top of the ladder I was greeted with an amazing sight of a storm engulfing the ship and Sumo yelling at us to fake out lines. To be honest I found the entire experience to be exhilarating and the first thoughts to run through my head were ‘Never will I be 20 again riding on a square sail ship in the midst of a storm in the Great Barrier Reef’. In all honesty I have repeated that line every time I experienced something new and thrilling on this voyage.

After we made it back to bed we only got another hours sleep before it was our turn for watch. By the time we got up to the bridge the storm was gone and we were back to four knots of wind.

  • Tug and Asha

Thank you Tug and Asha for your narrative of events you experienced overnight.

The storm referred to was a squall the Ship passed through last night at about 2200. We could see it on the horizon so had made preparations to hand-in sail if necessary but it was approaching faster than we thought. Accordingly we needed to get the crew on deck to furl the Topsail and re-set the Jib. That was completed in 25 knot winds and a one metre sea-state. Once we had furled the Topsail the heel reduced to a more workable angle and once we set the Jib the sail plan was balanced and we could send all those crew, not on watch, back to bed. Apart from some heavy rain which followed the squall, the weather and wind for the rest of the night abated. The Youth Crew navigated the Ship to the final waypoint, with a bit of engine assistance due to the lack of wind after sunrise. At 1000 Youth Crew Captain Rory handed the Ship back to me in a good state and, to be honest, I think the Youth Crew were happy to hand back their duties to the Staffies.

Navigator Seb then piloted the Ship into the Quoin 1 anchorage in Gladstone Harbour. During the 3 hour pilotage the final edition of Rope Races was held and Cylvie served-up another delicious lunch. Once at anchor we conducted the Command Day de-brief to ensure the youthies identified the life lessons they had learned through that experience, which hopefully they will be able to put into practice in the future, when required. Harbour Furls of the square sails were then conducted to make them look beautiful for our ceremonial arrival at the Gladstone Marina wharf tomorrow.

The traditional final night home-made pizza dinner, End-of -Voyage Chats facilitated by Watch Leaders and End-of -Voyage administration rounded-out a very busy day. The Youthies were then encouraged to get as much sleep as they could in preparation for a busy morning tomorrow.

Until tomorrow.

Yours, aye

Captain Mike


23 50.3' South / 151 19.1' East


Weather: fine, Wind: ESE at 17 knots, Temp: 22 deg. C, Sea: 1.0 m from ESE, Swell: 1.0 m from SE