Captain's Log
10 December 2009

Poor Weather Conditions

Captain Gav Hi Everyone, During the early hours of this morning the weather conditions continued to deteriorate with wind gusts reaching 35-40kts accompanied by an unpleasant 3m swell. Given these conditions we reduced our sail plan, came hard on to the wind and managed to make slow progress to the south west. As expected with these conditions a number of the Youth Crew succumbed to seasickness and the Ships Medical Care Provider was kept busy dispensing different varieties of medication. By morning brief it was obvious that we would not be able to continue with the days training program so following a very quick set of cleaning stations I stood everyone down for the day hoping that the weather would improve. By 1600 this had not occurred so given that we were now located 60nm off the coast I decided to tack ship and head for Bateman Bay which at this stage was 80nm to the south east and is located within Ningaloo Reef. By doing this I could have the ship safely at anchor by 1200 tomorrow thus giving the Youth Crew and Staff some much needed respite from the weather, which is currently forecast to improve within the next 48hrs.Special Note: Despite the poor weather and the accompanying seasickness all of the Youth Crew are doing extremely well with everyone looking forward to our first anchorage at Bateman Bay tomorrow.Until tomorrow, take care.Yours AyeCaptain Gav


22° 6' South / 113° 1' East


Currently located 69nm to the NW of Bateman Bay and experiencing strong SW winds with a 3m swell