Captain's Log
V17/16 Broome (WA) to Exmouth (WA)
10 May 2016

Day Three – Light Winds

Hi Everyone,Welcome to Day 3 of our voyage. The conditions remained light overnight then freshened from the SSE during the early hours of this morning. By morning brief we were located 120nm to the south west of Broome sailing on a beam reach under fore and aft sail.Later this morning the wind backed further to the south east which gave us an opportunity to give the Youth Crew a brief on how to set the squares then on completion we set both the topsail and topgallant and enjoyed sailing under the majority of the ships sails. Regrettably by midday the wind had moderated to less than 6kts which meant that we had to hand in all sail and use main engines.During the day we have progressed well with our training program conducting both Rule of the Road and Navigation briefs and introducing the Youth Crew to their first round of ‘Rope Races’Given how well the Youth Crew have been going since departing Broome I decided that they needed a break from the training program so we stopped the ship late this afternoon and gave everyone the opportunity to have a refreshing swim in the clear waters of the Indian Ocean.This evening following another amazing dinner the majority of the crew either climbed aloft or sat out on the bowsprit and witnessed a spectacular Indian Ocean sunset.Overnight the Youth Crew will do some practical navigation as we continue to make good speed towards our first anchorage which is currently planned to be the Montebello Islands. Until tomorrow, take care Yours Aye Captain Gav  


19 13 S / 119 15 E


Currently located 70nm to the NE of Port Hedland and experiencing light and variable NNE winds with nil swell. Our current speed is 7kts and the temperature is 21 degrees.