Captain's Log
12 April 2013

Day 6 – Enter Bass Strait

Ahoy there Shipmates,Overnight the ship continued on passage south then south-west towards Bass Strait. During the morning watch we had some excitement when the wind veered to the SW, the squares all backed and the boat speed slowed to less than 2 knots. Just as quickly it veered again but abated to less than 10 knots. Accordingly we clewed-up the square sails and motor-sailed on the fore-and-aft sails.After the morning brief and ‘happy hour’ the youth crew all lay aloft to sea-furl the square sails. This was a fairly slow task, which was finally completed after lunch. I then gave Part 2 of my Sail Theory brief, which was followed by Edition 3 of ‘Ropies’. During the afternoon watch we entered Bass Strait and were following the traffic lane when the wind veered to the south-west and increased to 25 knots. That placed the wind on the bow and caused us to have to alter course to the south and hand-in the Jib, Topgallant Staysail and Mainsail. We intend motor-sailing on this course until 2000 we will alter course to the west and track towards the Victoria Coast. Looking ahead at the weather forecast we are expecting some gale force SW winds on Thursday afternoon so I have been decided to seek shelter in Refuge Cove on the eastern side of Wilson’s Promontory as soon as we can get there.Until tomorrow,Yours AyeCaptain Mike————————————————————- WHITE WATCH WAKEY WAKEY SONG – WED 04 DECMy milkshake brings all the crew to the yardAnd they’re like can you even pull hard?Damn right we all pull hard!White could teach ya but we’d have to charge.My helming brings all the crew to the tackAnd they’re like, WHA THE HACKDamn right, we need to tackWe’d fix it, but we’ve gone off track.Lo lo lo lo lo- Want to sailLo lo lo lo lo- The waves are waitingLo lo lo lo lo- Let’s heave the brawlsLo lo lo lo lo- The winds are changing   “ 


38° 40' South / 148° 45' East


Weather: overcast and showers, Wind: 225 / 25 knots, Swell: 2.5 metres from the SW,Temp: 16 deg. C