Captain's Log
2 March 2010

Day 5: Challenging Times Ahead

Hello there Everyone, We remained at anchor in the picturesque Jervis Bay over night and enjoyed the benefits of anchor watches. This allowed for a good nights sleep and the recharging of ���the batteries�� for the challenges and adventures ahead. The Youth Crew were awake and on deck for our Early Morning Activity at 0630. This involved yet another beautiful ���wake up�� swim and the use of the rope swing off the course yard to really kick start the heart for an action packed day. Once out of the water everyone enjoyed a hearty breakfast. After the Colours Ceremony and morning brief I had a bit of chat and discussion about how this whole sailing thing worked with the Youth Crew. With the aid of a kayak, some improvised sails, masts and a rudder along with some eager volunteers, (Kylie, Tom and Dominic) I was able to demonstrate the basics of sail theory and the relevant aspects of tall ship sailing. Keen to put some of our newly learnt sail theory into practice after lunch we sailed from the anchorage and did so with great success and exactly according to plan. Onlookers in small pleasure craft were fortunate to witness this magnificent tall ship with her fore and aft sails set, majestically make her way out of Jervis Bay past the imposing cliffs of Point Perpendicular. There was plenty of work to be done and the Youth Crew had only a taste of what lay ahead. The wind was from the NE at 15-20kts and the swell that had built over the previous couple of days. We sailed from the protection of Jervis bay into 2.5-3m swells and the ship was pitching and rolling heavily as we sailed close hauled attempting to make ground to windward. It was some tough sailing throughout the afternoon and we took this opportunity to consolidate the understanding of the various roles during tacking by conducting our rotational tacks activity. We again had some feeling the ill affects of sea sickness but overall most were doing better this time out in much bigger seas. The cohesion and unity of our team is becoming readily apparent and seems to only be enhanced by each additional activity they undertake. This is fortunate as there were many more tacks ahead of our team, but of these the most notable was the final tack of the day when we got hit by a squall a little before midnight. With the rain bucketing down, 35kt winds howling across the deck, and with white frothy waves surrounding, battering and consuming the ship, we went to tacking stations awaking White and Blue Watches from their slumber (if they were lucky). The rain was at times coming in horizontally. Communications were difficult and the weight in the sails immense. Our team was simply superb and despite the trying conditions worked like a well oiled machine to achieve all that was required. I was incredibly proud of our entire team, both the Staff Crew and the Youth Crew alike, for their efforts, execution and achievements. The Staff gave outstanding guidance, reassurance, supervision and leadership under very trying conditions and the Youth Crew were super stars under pressure. Whilst being tired, soaking wet, getting thrown about the ship and experiencing the might of mother-nature our team gave their all. They wrestled with the sails and overcame all before them to seamlessly tack the ship and most importantly, did so safely. It really was an outstanding effort and achievement. The future is bright. Until Tomorrow, take care.Yours AyeCaptain Dion


34° 48' South / 150° 51' East


NE @ 30kts with a swell from the NE at 2.5-3mThanks to the after effects of Cyclone Olga