Captain's Log
V18/16 Exmouth (WA) to Fremantle (WA)
20 October 2016

Day 4 – Wind Strengthens

Hi Everyone,

Welcome to Day 4 of our voyage. The wind strengthened to 30-35kts overnight and by morning brief we were located 55nm to the north of Shark Bay still battling big seas and only making 3-4kts of boat speed.

As expected a number of the Youth Crew were still suffering from seasickness and are most likely wondering why they had chosen to undertake this voyage, but I am sure that will change as the weather improves.

Given the strong conditions we rigged the Storm Tri-sail this morning which gave us a little more stability and an extra knot of boat speed. Due to the poor weather we again cancelled all activities for the day and tried to make the Youth Crew as comfortable as possible whilst still keeping their watches.

Early this evening we were located 40nm to the north west of Shark Bay still beating up wind trying to get ourselves in a position where we could sail high enough without taking the swell on the bow (not good for Tall Ships) so that we can hopefully enter Shark Bay early tomorrow morning.

Overnight the weather is forecast to improve so hopefully our young mariners will finally get some respite from these tough sailing conditions.

Until tomorrow, take care

Yours Aye

Captain Gav


23 57 S / 113 02 E


Currently experiencing very strong 28-32kt SSE winds with a 3m SW swell. Our speed is 6kts and the temperature is 17 degrees.