Captain's Log
31 August 2013

Day 2 – Sydney to Sea

Hello Shipmates,Welcome to Day 2 of the voyage. Following a well deserved and much needed night’s rest the Youth Crew were woken to a mild last day of winter’s morning at 0645 by Sail Master Paul, who treated us to an ‘ice-breaker’ deck game to wake us up. After breakfast the Youthies experienced their first ceremony of ‘colours’ followed by the morning brief at which they met ‘Salty the sea-dog’ (Sandy), whose job it is to explain the nautical origin of some expressions in common use in the English language. On completion of the brief it was straight into cleaning stations (this activity is known as our ‘Happy Hour’ and even has its own little song).The crew then progressed deck safety training to ensure our new crew members would have the necessary training to carry out the basics of setting and furling Young Endeavour’s sails safely. The Ship was also visited by ‘Captain Safety’ (Dave’s alter-ego!) who gave a more detailed presentation on the items of safety equipment onboard. Following lunch the Staff Crew weighed anchor and the Ship joined Soren Larsen to conduct a formation departure through Sydney heads.On exiting the shelter of the harbour, the Youth crew got their first taste of the Ship’s motion under the influence of the weather. The wind was south-easterly at 10 knots with a negligible swell, ideal conditions for the first day at sea!After some solid practice at setting and furling the Stay Sails, Sail Master Paul gave a briefing on the procedures for setting the Mainsail, after which it was set. Next the Jib was set and the Ship sent to Tacking Stations in order that the Youth Crew could experience Tacking the Ship and what their individual duties entailed. This is also conducted to satisfy me that the crew are capable of altering the course of the Ship during the night, if necessary.In the 10 knot SE conditions with all the fore-and-aft sails set we achieved 3 knots of boat speed. Unfortunately that was well short of the Speed of Advance we need to get to Melbourne on time so I started the engines and we motor-sailed to increase our speed made good and allow us to sail closer to the wind.We completed the practical training at 1600 and, after another of Luke’s delicious meals, the crew prepared for their first night at sea. This will involve keeping 4 hour Sea Watches through the night, during which they will keep the Ship safe performing duties as helmsman, lookouts, and conducting below deck engineering rounds. No doubt the crew will sleep well after a busy day! The intention is to spend at least the next 36 hours underway to make the necessary ground towards Melbourne before considering an overnight stop in a sheltered anchorage.Until tomorrow,Yours AyeCaptain Mike   “ 


34° 33' South / 151° 7' East


Wind: ESE 10 knots Weather: fine Swell: Eastely 0.5 metres Temperature: 15 deg. C