V01/17 Adelaide (SA) to Stanley (TAS)
02 Jan - 12 Jan 2017
36 50 S
138 40 E
Currently located 65nm to the WNW of Robe and experiencing very strong 25-30kt SE winds with a 2m SE swell. Our current speed is 5kts and the temperature is 18 degrees.
Hi Everyone, Welcome to day three of our voyage. During the early hours of this morning the swell increased to 2m from the south east which understandably brought on bouts of seasickness with a number of the Youth Crew, given these conditions we altered course to the east which gave us a more stable course as we crossed Encounter Bay. By morning brief we were located 60nm to the east of the Backstairs Passage motor sailing in moderate 15-18kts SE winds and in these improved conditions the majority of the Youth Crew quickly recovered from their seasickness. Throughout the day we have continued to battle moderate to strong south easterly headwinds which have challenged us and reduced our boat speed. That said, we have still managed to progress with the training program, firstly with introducing the Youth Crew to their first round of Rope Races which was followed by Kyle’s informative presentation on navigation. Following this presentation all of the watches will now put this theory into practice when they undertake some coastal and GPS navigational position fixing while on watch. Given the current forecast of very strong SE winds for tomorrow we are going to head for the picturesque township of Robe where we can get a sheltered anchorage and give the Youth Crew the opportunity to get ashore and have a good leg stretch while the worst of this weather passes through. Currently we are located 65nm to the WNW of Robe motor sailing in very strong 25-30kt SE winds but will alter course in approximately 2hrs and shape a direct course for Robe. Until tomorrow, take care Yours Aye Captain Gav