Captain's Log
12 February 2009

At Anchor At Norman Bay

Hi Everyone, Welcome to day 3 of the voyage. This morning was again fine but extremely cold. As forecast the wind backed E-NE overnight and we had to work hard against a south easterly swell to maintain a reasonable boat speed. By morning brief we were located 50nm to the east of Wilson’s Promontory having to motor sail due to the strong headwinds. Despite the unpleasant conditions the moral of the Youth Crew was high and the training program was kept firmly on track. By late afternoon it became obvious that my original plan to head for Refuge Cove was no longer an option given the strong north easterly conditions. Instead I decided to proceed to anchor on the western side of Wilson’s Promontory were we could be guaranteed of a well protected and safe anchorage in Norman Bay, which at this stage was located only 10nm away. At 1930 this evening all sail was handed in and Young Endeavour came safely to anchor just in the lea of Mount Oberon in the very scenic Norman Bay. Once at anchor the Youth Crew proceeded aloft to secure gaskets on the mainsail and to witness a memorable sunset from the mast. This evening the Youth Crew will revert to anchor watches, which means that they will all get a reasonable nights rest.Tomorrow they will be given the opportunity to set foot on terra firma and explore Norman Bay whilst we await the forecasted south westerly change. Until Tomorrow, Take Care.Yours AyeCaptain Gav


39° 2' South / 146° 18' East


Currently at anchor in Norman Bay and experiencing strong 20-25kt NE winds with nil swell.