Captain's Log
6 September 2013

Tacking into Hervey Bay

G’day Shipmates, Well What a night that was. We have had a very adventurous night with winds gusting up to 30kts. During the First watch the Red Watch were forced to do a one watch wear due to a wind shift. They were then required to furl the Jib due to the increasing wind gusts. With a reduced sail plan we were then on a southerly course and making great ground towards Hervey Bay. During the morning watch there was yet another wind shift so the Blue watch now conducted a one watch wear to put the ship on the other tack. These one watch wears are a very technical manoeuvre and they require the Youth Crew to be very nimble on their feet and it is a credit to the watches and their watch leaders that both were conducted to an exemplarity standard. Once the sun had come up, we found ourself still just to the north of Lady Elliot Island ad still having to beat the ship to windward down into Hervey Bay. It has been a very determined Youth Crew who has constantly been there when I have called for tacking stations again and again on every wind shift to try and maximise the ground towards Fraser Island. Sadly after a day of hard sailing we had to give up as the wind died away and we have reverted to motor sailing the last 30nm. The distance between Gladstone and Hervey bay is only 105nm along the rhumb line. So far we have covered 212nm by sailing down into the bay fighting against not only the winds and tide but also the EAC’s eddies as well. This morning the morning brief was delayed by a tack (surprise, surprise) but it eventually kicked off at 0930. There were some very tied and worn out Youthies looking back at me this morning, but slowly they came back to life as they woke up and listened into the hilarious stories from the guest speakers. After the brief and yet another snappy tack everyone went below for a bit more down time. They really didn’t get much sleep last night and I think everyone appreciated the chance to have an extra hour to themselves. Luke was a bit low on customers down in the Galley for lunch but come 1300 everyone was up on deck and read for the slightly competitive event we call “rope races”. After rope races and another tack almost everyone went below to clean the ship while a few of the Youthies that were still a bit worse for wear remained up on deck to catch some fresh air. After Happy Hour the watch leaders had a bit of time with their watched to bed down a bit more ships knowledge. Dinner was an interesting alfresco option tonight with the ship still underway, but it was nice to have everyone eating together up on deck where there is a bit more space. We are in behind the protection of Fraser Island now so the swell has dropped right down making for a great dinner. Tonight we should be at anchor by 2030 so we plan on doing a get to know each other exercise in the Café and then The Youthies will maintain the anchor watch tonight. Its been a big day and I am sure they all look forward to the chance to have a good sleep in a bed that is not trying to throw them out like it was last night. Until tomorrow, may your sails never chaff CAPT Matt It is not the critic who counts, Nor the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is marred in the arena, whose face is marred by dust, sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes short again and again, who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, and spends himself in a worthy cause, who, at best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement. And who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while doing greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls, who know neither victory nor defeat. Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919) A special shout out to the Gold Creek Kindergarten unit


24° 50' South / 153° 0' East


Wind: South East at 6kts\r\nSwell: Nil\r\nSails: Mainstaysail