Captain's Log
13 December 2015


Hi Everyone,

Welcome to day 21 of our voyage. Sundays are meant to be a day of rest for the Young Endeavour Crew but that certainly hasn’t been the case today. With the exception of a mysterious lull in the weather this morning which saw us becalmed for just over an hour we have all been kept extremely busy fighting the elements and everything the Indian Ocean wants to throw at us. That has meant numerous sail plan changes in 25-35kt winds and trying to stay on our feet while the ship is thrown around in a large 4m swell.

Our World Voyagers are holding up very well and to e honest appear to be really enjoying the challenge of sailing the ship in these conditions. Most of the crews throughout the World Voyage have all stated that they wanted a really good storm during their voyage and I can assure you that Passage Eight have gotten their wish.

We are now into day three of our five day sailing run for the Boston Teapot Trophy and have continued to make good speed the only thing being that due to the gale force conditions we did have to reduce down to storm sails which did reduce our speed for a number of hours overnight. That said, we are now back sailing under fore staysail, 3 squares, main staysail and storm tri-sail and getting along quite nicely so we will keep doing the best we can.

Currently we are located 1425nm WSW of Fremantle sailing on a very broad port reach and maintaining a boat speed of between 9-12kts.

Volunteering to write tonight’s Captains Log is Jack and Brig from the recently formed Tahiti Watch, please enjoy!

Until tomorrow, take care.

Yours Aye

Captain Gav


Greetings from an incredibly wet Indian Ocean (Ocean bit aside, it’s just raining a lot). Tahiti watch were woken by a very soggy Hawaii watch for the forenoon watch this morning with the news that conditions had eased somewhat. This was a small victory as we were smacked by a big squall as soon as we got up on deck. First order of business was to furl the storm jib and send Jack and Hamish up the mast to cast loose gaskets on the course. This happened just as the wind backed and we entered the ‘eye of the storm’, meaning conditions got very unconducive to walking in a straight line. These relatively calm conditions persisted for about an hour and forced the furling of the jib, the topsail, the course and centring of the main staysail. It also gave ‘jack of all trades’, engineer Horto the chance to fix a damaged jib sheet. We were eventually forced to start up the engines to get us moving again. This must have sent a signal to Huey who immediately restarted the wind and the rain.

Moving to lunch provided yet another challenge to all on board, we must however be getting better as nobody hit the deck and Rose stayed safe from any mysterious swinging arms. After lunch a few of us settled in to watch one of the greatest films of all time. What’s that you’re saying Goose? You feel the need for? Ohhhh, the need for speed! The showing of Topgun meant that a few World Voyagers were compelled into pretending to be fighter pilots for the rest of the afternoon. Things soon quietened down as we settled into a delayed siesta and watches continued to march on up to the bridge.

Dinner of roast pork and spag bol was served by fill in chef Marcos, giving Jenko a well earned break. His day was not without incident however as he was seen marching about the deck looking for the potatoes. These were immediately assumed by Jenko to have been stolen. On further investigation and some querying Kenny came forward with a revelation. It is now accepted that as water rushed on deck last night it filled the potato footlocker with water opening the lid and spilling the spuds across the deck and into the drink. This means no more potato skin chips unfortunately.


As we write this captains log we are interrupted by the announcement that we as Tahiti watch have just broken the World Voyage speed record! Reaching a staggering 15.6 knots under sail with Rose at the helm, we are now very pleased with ourselves and announce Tahiti as voyage 08/15’s speed demons.

Watches are now continuing overnight as we look forward to a couple more days of good sailing conditions before a lull forecast to arrive on Wednesday. This may spell the end of anymore real sailing for the voyage but who knows we may get some more favourable winds as we approach Fremantle.

That is all from your scurvy sea writers,

Jack Attack and Brig the Flying Dutchwoman

Shout Outs

Hey Jack! Hope you received my post card. Eleven!!! Missing you like crazy xx Not long now. Wish your Mum happy birthday from me. Love Rhianna xxxx P.S. The playlist is perfect.

Greetings friends and family! Experiencing some big waves and some awesome sailing. See you soon, Bec xx

Hello family, having a great time in some rough weather, see you in Melbourne, Hamish.

Hi, from Café Corner- Matt Harland

Hi Charles, Thank you so much for my journal, I’m loving it. I’m looking forward to reading you a few passages from my adventure. Merry Christmas- Matt G

Hi, Tim’s girlfriend. Please forgive Tim for his rude behaviour the other day. Despite what he says he really does love my beard. He hopes to one day have a beard of such stature. Peace out homie, Jack

Hi Mum and Dad. Had some crazy weather overnight, all very exciting (except for lack of sleep) still having a great time! Glad I packed that extra jumper and thermals but it’s starting to warm up again as we get closer to Aus. Keen to see you in WA! Love Brigida


42 degrees 20 minutes South / 88 degrees 0 minutes East


Currently located 1425 nm WSW of Fremantle and experiencing very strong 25-35kt WSW winds with a 4m NW swell. Our current speed is 10kts and the temperature is 10 degrees.