Captain's Log
13 June 2000

Shore time

The ship entered Gladstone Harbour late yesterday evening and sailed all the way to the anchorage, anchoring shortly after 0100. The YC had a real baptism of fire sailing in the worst conditions that I have seen during a command day and they performed very well.The YC still had the ship until 1000 and following some early morning exercise at 0630, it was breakfast followed by morning brief and happy hour. The ship was handed back in one clean piece. We shifted our anchorage position a few miles closer to town and on arrival the Beach Assault Team finally had their moment of glory.This afternoon the YC went ashore into Gladstone and played some sport at a local park. It was back onboard for a BBQ dinner on deck and this will be followed by the Command Day debrief later this evening. Tomorrow will be a busy day conducting a half-day sail for some local youth organisations and then the ship’s concert.YC entry by Nigel Hunter (age 22 from Dora Creek, NSW) – At 0100 this morning we dropped anchor in Gladstone Harbour. It was the end of a truly awesome day of sailing. We as a youth crew had successfully sailed STS YE in conditions that would test even the most hardened sailor. The feeling of achievement was unreal and what made it so special was that we had sailed together as a team of friends. It’s hard to believe a week earlier we were 24 strangers, the majority of whom had never set foot on a sailing boat before. It just goes to show that if you have a group of people who are willing to learn and work together you can achieve anything. The staff on YE have been unreal and have made the last 8 days so much fun for all onboard. I have had a great time onboard YE. I’ve learnt a hell of a lot about sailing and about myself and I’ve met people who will now be my friends for a long time to come. It will certainly be a journey I will remember for the rest of my life.Andrew (and Nigel)


23° 50' South / 151° 15'


Wind SE 15 kts, Temp 16, clear skies