Captain's Log
3 September 2010

Sheltering from Bad Weather

Hi Everone, Welcome to day 2 of the voyage. Following a busy morning which saw the Youth Crew introduced to the normal routines of ship-borne life the anchor was weighed and Young Endeavour departed her anchorage at Bellerive Bay. Whilst making our way down the Derwent we received a Storm Force Wind Warning for Southern Tasmanian waters. Given this information I decided to spend the next 24hrs in the confines of the D’Entrecastaux Channel rather than venture out into Storm Bay were winds where forecast to reach 45-50kts with rather large seas (5-6mtr swells). Once in the D’Entrecastaux Channel the training program continued in earnest with the Youth Crew focusing on deck safety and sail setting and furling drills. Due to strong winds and deteriorating conditions these activities were suspended late in the afternoon at which time I decided to enter the Huon River and secure a safe and well sheltered anchorage for the evening and give this extremely bad weather an opportunity to improve.At the moment we are safely at anchor in the picturesque and well sheltered Port Cygnet were we are currently experiencing cold winds and heavy rain.Tomorrow the weather is forecast to improve with the wind moderating and backing to the south west. Given these conditions we will depart the Huon River and the D’Entrecataux Channel and start to make our way up the East coast of Tasmania. Until tomorrow, take careYours AyeCaptain Gav


43° 13' South / 147° 4' East


Currently experiencing strong NW winds with nil swell (due to good anchorage)