Captain's Log
V05/18 Adelaide to Hobart
3 April 2018

If we have no sails set, are we still sailing?

Ahoy there everyone, what a full day 9 we have had. After an underwhelming breeze started off our command day it quickly picked up its pace, freshening and coming from the west. Soon the wind increased to an impressive 40 knots and all the sails had to be furled, which required an epic climb by four of the Youth crew (Blake, Eli, Tom and Josie) up the foremast to gasket all the square sails. Then all of Bay Watch and Staffies worked together to furl all sails in lashing rain on a deck tilted 45° to starboard, before the sails could be damaged by the incredible winds.Even with no sails set, and no engines running, we continued to clip along at 6 knots. If we have no sails set, are we still sailing? Regardless we made good progress throughout the night, although we changed the planned route at short notice due to the dangers involved with the strong winds and their effect on our old course. Jellyfish continued to clog our engines, although the engines managed to stutter on in the early morning during True Blue’s watch, which is fortunate as the wind was coming from 30° from the bow, not ideal for sailing. The Diggers took on the final watch to carry the ship through to 0800.Breakfast was a choice of delicious chocolate pancakes or bacon and eggs and lunch was just as scrumptious, boasting chicken curry and roast pork with crackling. The day started out with an early wear and tack in Storm Bay, before an 1100 arrival at our destination, the mouth of the Derwent River. Morning brief was delivered  by the Sailmaster, and included an update from the Navigator, then the Captain told a highly dubious tale explaining the presumed nautical origins for the phrases ‘knock on wood’ and ‘use your head’. This included a visit by special guest Mr Knockers, who unbelievably turned out to be Watch Officer Tom Gouvernet! This was followed by a musical number from the crew, singing the National Anthem to three different tunes which the Staffies had to try to identify. Then it was straight onto the daily Happy Hour clean.After lunch, we got started on our remaining challenges including drawing a mural on deck to celebrate our adventures. Then every member of the Youth crew climbed up the foremast for some photos. Next we put our trust in some considerably less reliably rigged ropes, building a hammock to carry our entire crew at once. But our team were well up to the task and we all climbed aboard. Lastly, we listened to some life advice delivered by some of the Youth crew – warm thank you to Digby, Josie, Justin and Blake for sharing some of the lessons they have learned. At 1500 we handed back the Captain’s hat and periscope, along with the ship, to Captain Mike.We really could not have gotten through the day without the amazing crew on this ship. We would like to thank everyone who put in the extra hours to pull us through, whether they were climbing up masts, giving moral support, heaving on ropes, washing dishes, or just keeping a smile on their face. It has been a challenging but rewarding day for us all and I think I speak on behalf of the whole youth crew when I say that we are looking forward to a restful sleep.Liking the cut of your jib,YoursSailmaster Maia HanrahanCaptain Ash Mills—————————————————————————————Ahoy there,It’s Captain Mike back. Captain Ash handed the Ship back to me at 1500 today after a hectic and very challenging 26 hours, during which they brought the Ship from South West Cape to anchor off Kingston in the Derwent River. We put the youthies ashore for a couple of hours and then once everyone was back onboard we had another BBQ dinner on the upper decks, this time skilfully cooked by Tom Gough and Shan-del.After the clean up from dinner we conducted the Command Day debrief, during which we split the crew into three groups and each group came up with a list of Good Points, Points that could be improved and Take-Away points from the experience of Command Day. We then got the crew back together and each group picked the two most important points from each list and briefly expanded on them. This whole process took about 90 min, after which we let our tired crew get some rest before another busy day tomorrow.The Ship will remain at anchor off Kinston Beach overnight with the youthies helping the staffies with conducting anchor watches.Until tomorrow, Yours aye,Captain Mike