Captain's Log
15 August 2001

Feeling the Fear!

We had a good day sailing and relaxing after Big Tuesday. The wind is doing strange things though. It is veering (going anticlockwise) when it should be backing. It made our journey south a little easier by the day but by 1500 hours the wind was back on our nose and now blowing 40 knots with gusts to 50 with 5 to 6 metre swells. It was time to rig the storm sails and after that huge effort by the crew we rode a little easier and weren’t going to break anything.The crew are a little tired but there’s more and more smiles appearing as we head into our second night at sea at speed. Tomorrow we should finally round Cape Leeuwin (southwest tip of Oz) and run eastward.Here’s the word from the Youth Crew:Youth crew entry by Andrew Sinclair, Briar Hill Victoria 23 years of age.I really didn’t know what I was getting myself into. This is real sailing in the high seas, storm winds, huge swells and a little boat that myself and about 34 other people share. Today has been really rough and the feeling on the boat is strange, we stand at a 45 degree angle to stand up. You can try and imagine what its like to have a shower when the water is falling out the door and you’re gripping to the other side of the wall, so not much water really gets on you. I’m sorry about the message but the keyboard is on an angle and keeps sliding down the table and I’m gripping the table so I don’t fall over.Mum, I have to say sorry, I have just come in from the deck where I climbed the 33m mast, to tie up a sail. I think I’m stupid for doing it. I don’t know how I did it, but it’s amazing that I did. Although I feel sick in the guts from that I think it was just fear. I haven’t fallen ill with this seasick stuff, but most other people on board have. When first got on board I was scared more than anyone (it seemed) I was nervous and about to grab my bags and say I couldn’t do this, but strange things happen as I’m one of the lucky ones that hasn’t fallen ill (of the four?) SHOULDN’T SPEAK TO SOON AS IT’S ONLY THREE DAYS IN.Within the first three hours on board we had all climbed the mast in calmer weather than today, but it was dark so we couldn’t see how high we were. I’ve been up all day and in four hours time (12am) I have to be ready to do a night watch with my Blue crew, so I want to get some sleep. Miss everyone and looking forward to seeing you all again ��� Andrew.Youth Crew entry by Claire MacDougall from Perth aged 21.Well, it is our third night on the Young Endeavour and the second night out in pretty rough seas. As I’m writing this, the ship is rocking from one side to the other and I’m having fun trying to stay upright. Ever since we left calm waters I’ve been suffering from seasickness. However, I’ve been taking some of my own advice and have been trying to think positively (plus taking a few seasick pills). I’m finally beginning to feel a bit better and eat a little bit and by tomorrow I’m sure I will be a different person.The first full day on the ship was pretty full on, learning how to set and furl/clew/brail the sails. We also climbed to the top of the mast (about 30m) and then out onto the yards to practice tying and untying knots. This was definitely a challenge but well worth the effort. You get a great sense of achievement from doing something that seems a little scary at first. Feel the fear…and do it anyway!Today I have been one of three dish piggies who help the chef in the kitchen during meal times. This is a good job because you get an entire night’s sleep, which I’m looking forward to. Actually, come to think of it they’ve warned us that we may be woken up in the middle of the night to tack the ship. This takes all the people on board and feels great when we actually turn the ship.Anyway, better go and get some shut-eye. Hello to all my family and friends. I’d like to mention you all but I’m scared of missing someone out. Having a great time and will see you soon. Claire (with an i)Stay tunedAndrew Davis


33° 5' South / 114° 55'


CO's Log Wednesday 15 Aug 2001Current situation at 1800: At sea off Cape Naturaliste. Wind Sou'west at 40 knots, temp 14C.