Captain's Log
V04/17 Hobart (TAS) to Melbourne (VIC)
19 February 2017

Day Six – Bass Strait

Hi Everyone,
Welcome to day six of our voyage. During the early hours of this morning the wind strengthened from the northwest putting us on a lee shore and causing us to drag anchor. Having been awoken and notified of this issue we immediately came up on engines, closed up cable party, weighed anchor then conducted a short passage around to Erith Islands West Cove where we anchored in a more sheltered position where we were protected from these strong north westerly conditions.
The majority of the crew were quite oblivious to this move and got quite a surprise when they woke this morning and found us to be anchored at a different Island.
Following breakfast and morning brief we weighed anchor, set fore and aft sail then sailed through the picturesque Murray Passage (separates Erith and Deal Island) and back into Bass Strait where we were greeted by strong 25kt north westerly winds and a 2m swell.
Given these unpleasant conditions we completed a quick set of cleaning stations, had lunch then stood the Youth Crew down until the conditions improved. This occurred mid afternoon when the wind moderated to 15kts and the swell dropped down to 1.5m which allowed us to conduct a set of rope races followed by my presentation on sail theory.
This evening we are continuing to make ground to the west awaiting the forecasted south westerly change which would allow us to tack ship then shape a direct course for Westernport Bay where we hope to anchor late tomorrow afternoon.
Until tomorrow evening, take care.
Yours Aye
Captain Gav


39 56 S / 146 31 E


Currently located 60nm to the WSW of Deal Island and experiencing moderate NW winds with a 1-2m NW swell. Our current speed is 6kts and the temperature is a cool 12 degrees