Captain's Log
28 August 2012

Day 2 – Departure Brisbane to Sea

Ahoy there, The day started with a couple of wake-up tunes and a call to muster on deck from Rico. Morning activities consisted of a few laps walking around the deck followed by another quick Ice-Breaker before everyone headed below for showers and the first of Squizy’s delicious breakfasts.At just before 0800 the Crew mustered on the bridge to witness the ceremony of Colours, a daily ceremony conducted when the Ship is either alongside or at anchor, which features the ringing of eight bells on the Ship’s bell followed by the still blown on a Bosun’s Call (whistle), after which the Australian National Flag and the Australian White Ensign are hoisted. Colours was followed by the Morning Brief (brief in name only!), during which we were privileged to be visited by ‘Salty the Seadog’ (Kristie’s alter-ego) who explained the origin of some nautical terms. On completion of the necessary preparations the Ship cast off lines and sailed from the wharf at 0900 proceeding downstream the Brisbane River and across Moreton Bay to sea. The weather conditions were glorious, sunny, blue skies and a light easterly breeze. Captain Safety (Dougie’s alter-ego), who was appropriately dressed in ‘Super Hero’ attire, paid the Ship a visit during the transit to give a more detailed briefing on the safety features and equipment onboard, after which the Crew commenced practical instruction in setting and furling the staysails.(Fore, Main and Top gallant). The training in working with lines and the staysails continued after a break for lunch. At 1400, after exiting Moreton Bay via the Eastern Channel, we altered course to the east in order to clear Moreton Island and take advantage of the East Australia Current. At 1600 the Ship was piped to tacking stations. Two tacks(altering the course of the Ship when the bow passes through the wind) and a wear (when the stern passes through the wind) were successfully undertaken by the crew. This is a necessary activity that the Ship must be able to do safely at night and in heavy weather. It is therefore important that I have confidence that the crew are capable of doing it efficiently and safely. We sent the crew to dinner by watches as the sun was setting. As Red Watch were not sent to dinner first they took the opportunity to climb to the lower top and observe the sun dipping below the horizon. The intent is to sail through the night and the crew will keep watch-on-deck watches performing duties as lookouts, helmsmen and undertaking engineering rounds. The watches may also be called upon to set or furl sails during the night in response to changes in the weather. It has been a busy day and I am sure that the crew’s physical exertions combined with the broken sleep associated with watch-keeping will ensure everyone will get to bed as early as they can. A few new members of the crew are also suffering a little from motion sickness so Squizy’s lovely dinner wasn’t enjoyed by everyone. Until tomorrow. Yours aye, Captain Mike


26° 57' South / 153° 38' East


Wind 085 at 10 knots, weather fine, swell 0.5 metres from the east