Captain's Log
12 September 2007


Ahoy Shipmates,Please find attached Part 2 of the Captains Log for Command Day written by the new Youth Crew Captain for this phase of the voyage.Yours AyeCaptain GavCommand Day: The Greatest Day YetAfter 24 hours of youth crew control, the 44 metres, 240 tonnes, 10 sails, and 2 motors worth of Young Endeavour is still in one piece! Not a bad effort for 27 scallywag youth crew with eight days sailing experience!At 0100 the second of our command teams took over, with me as captain, Sarah as Sailmaster, Shimila as Navigator and Pirate Jake as Watch Officer and not to forget our fabulous crew (who were extremely patient during practice tacks!)At the handover the previous command team had the ship cruising along nicely, and so did we, up until the wind disappeared and took the puff out our sails.We continued on at less than a knot in speed (Anyone familiar with nautical speed will know this is slower than a jellyfish) but despite this the crew was patient and continually positive and we managed to pass through our first waypoint at 0540 Sunday morning.We were all very excited, then realised how far we had to travel to reach the next waypoint and with wind that was not entirely favourable, it was back to work very quickly. We still had ninteen nautical miles to travel in six hours. After discussing our options with wind direction and sails, it was clear we weren’t really getting where we needed to be, so it was on with the motors stepping up our pace from sea urchin to dolphin.Our second waypoint of three was quickly approaching but due to weather conditions we missed it by the narrowest of narrow margins, and in addition, we were determined to reach our final destination within the specified time limit. However, our wishes to get the ship there in one piece were nearly ruined when we just missed a tinny anchored in the bay. After this warning beacon we dodged another twenty or so small vessels (And a few larger container ships!) before the engines mysteriously stopped (Thanks Sumo) and we were left to sail with more wind coming from the command teams mouths than over the glassy seas.We spent the final hours setting all the sails possible to catch what little breeze there was and with just seven minutes to spare sailed into the co-ordinates that would complete the command day journey! By this point, our whole team was exhausted and hungry but our chefs came through with the goods and treated us to an Italian themed lunch, and top feeds for the full 24 hours.The entire trip, but especially Command Day, has provided us with numerous valuable learning experiences, not just me but the whole of the youth crew. The strength and the way we all pulled together when it was needed is testament to the nature and character of those on board, both youth crew and staff. I think we all surprised ourselves. It’s amazing how much we all learnt.MASSIVE thanks must go to all the staff for their patience (Especially Sandon for dodging that boat for me!) and the effort they go to share their knowledge and experience, whilst making it fun at the same time!Finally, thanks to all the youth crew for an awesome trip and the chance to share this unique experience with you.Captain Jimmy


38°7's / 144°22'e


At anchor in Corio Bay (close to Geelong) and currently experiencing moderate south westerly winds