Captain's Log
11 February 2008


Ahoy Shipmates,Please find below Captains Log entry for Part 2 of the Youth Crew Command Day.Yours AyeCaptain GavCommand Day Part 2What a success Command Day has been! We have arrived at Hawley Beach and completed a substantial number of our allocated tasks. I was lucky enough to get elected by fellow members of the youth crew as one of the navigators for Command Day. I am happy to say that we dropped the anchor at our allocated anchorage on time. Nalani, my co-navigator and I worked together with the watch officers to successfully plot our course and we are proud to announce that we made both ‘Way Points of Glory’ at the allocated times, 0100 and 0600. We had to use engines to help us get closer to the Waypoints. However, we sailed into both Way Points and our anchorage without mechanical help. For me, Command Day has been a huge success and I am extremely happy with how the day went. I have had the time of my life on this voyage, sailing across the Bass Strait and seeing Tasmania from an angle that I am not used to. The youth crew on Voyage 16/08 have been amazing and I am honoured to be able to spend this remarkable time on board STS Young Endeavour with them.Madeline DaveyHi to all my family, friends and on-lookers! I hope you’re actually reading this since I’ve finally decided to make the effort to write something! I hope everything has been well at home. I can’t really explain what the last nine days have contained in this limited paragraph, suffice to say that ‘a learning experience’ would be an understatement. In the aftermath of Command Day (partly run by yours truly as Sail Master) the fatigue is setting in and I’m a little overwhelmed by the last 24 hours. I’ve reached the missing stage (although I have survived without my phone in case you were wondering Dad) and I’m looking forward to seeing and talking to people on Tuesday.Ben, you have to give Baby a kiss for me, I miss his purrs, although I’ve decided we should change his name to Rapscallion and he can be a ship’s cat with one eye.Love to all, Nicki Anne.Nicole LojszczykToday saw the BAT (Beach Assault Team) travel ashore to Hawley Beach, Tasmania on a mission to claim a small part of the land for the youth of Australia. After battling the treacherous swell to paddle into shore, the team of 8 youth crew scattered the streets in search of local residents to witness the proud patriotism the youth have for our country. Total count of local residents reached into the 40’s, with everyone in unison singing the national anthem which was broadcast by radio back to the remaining crew on the ship. The experience had in completing this challenging task was eventful and rewarding for all involved.We hope everyone is well and not missing us too much! Love to all.Ashlea Schiesser & Sharon PearceThe first night I had a crying moment because I didn’t know how I would be able to manage my own tolerance to be surrounded in such confined spaces with people of varied personalities and backgrounds. I have come a long way since then. I had another crying moment today for a completely different reason. These crew and staff have become my family for the last 9 days (feels like a year). The fun and support we have shared have been one I will never forget. The bonds we have formed were so unexpected. The thought of leaving everyone in 2 days time saddens me while also excites me knowing I have come on as an individual and now I can walk away with 25 friends who will continue to remain in my thoughts always.I was overwhelmed with the fact that I was elected captain for the command day. I must have had some impressional impact for people to see leadership qualities in me that I had not necessarily seen myself. They say it takes four years to gain respect and four minutes to lose it. I was nervous of potentially losing all ties I had formed with people soley by being placed captain. As it turned out everyone was very supportive saying that I had nothing to worry about when everyone will be behind me. I seriously did have nothing to worry about because everyone was so cooperative and mindful of the tasks that were set for our challenge.I feel I have learnt skills I can walk away with that I would not have necessarily been able to gain else where. I have an even greater appreciation for the natural beauty of the world and it’s the smallest things in life that count the most. I have learnt to tolerate people by understanding that they all have a story to tell and have so many contributions to bring to someone’s day. It’s just a matter of getting to know the person.If there was any way I could describe a heavenly state it would be what we saw last night. A clear sky of stars, the moons shine reflecting on the water, very calm winds and complete calm. That was my happy place.I don’t look forward to going home but at the same time I am also excited to face a new challenge and keep growing and meeting fabulous people.On another, not so personal note� We had complete success for the 24 hour command day. We reached our 3 waypoints which involved sailing to a certain point by an exact time. It was very slow sailing in 8 knot winds when we only got a speed up of about 2 knots. So the engines were used to help increase our speed at times. It was stressful at times. The navigators certainly did a great job of informing the rest of the crew on distances and speed and time etc. We pulled into anchor at Hawley Beach. I think we had the staff very nervous, thinking we would run into ground. But I had complete confidence in the crew and actually laughed at the fact that it was all coming together. We had many more optional tasks to gain extra points. These were making a hammock to hold all 24 youth crew, polish the cannons, draw a mural of our voyage, have all sails packed away and the ship clean and tidy to hand back to the staff. We were very happy with our experience and success and everything that came with the challenge. We were rewarded with the afternoon to just spend amongst ourselves. Everyone opted to sleep. A lot of the girls jumped in their sleeping bags and slept on deck. But woke up for dinner having found out the guys had tied all the sleeping bags together and tied to secure points of the ship. So was quite a mess getting up. We had a beautiful Sunday night roast for dinner.Our command day didn’t go without any real talk of the significance of its challenges. We had a whole group debrief talking about the good and not so good things that came from the command day and what we got out of it. But it was also emphasised that it wasn’t just about achieving the tasks, it was about the processes we went through to reach our goal.I cant be more proud of my fellow crew� well done everyone. Bom chicka wowoaSarah DaltonI was fortunate enough to celebrate my 21st birthday on the YE today. It was by far the most exciting and interesting birthday I have ever had�I started my day at 12am for the ‘guts’ watch, which would last until 4am, acting as Officer of the Watch! It was definitely an exciting day filled with much stress and hard work! Hey mum!Caitlin Starink 


41°8's / 146°34'e


Currently at anchor at Port Sorrell and enjoying light NE winds with a .5m swell.