24° 20' South
152° 21'
At sea in Hervey Bay . Wind:ESE at 15 knots.
Situation at 20:00-

All hands enjoyed a quiet night at anchor last night which came as a welcome relief after the hectic pace of the last five days. The first event of the day was a 06:30 wake up call followed by early morning activity for a half hour. The Youth Crew and Staff Crew tried
to out do one another in singing the National Anthem during the morning brief, but the issue was decided by sheer numbers. Full marks
to the Youth Crew for showing some terrific spirit.

After Happy Hour was completed, the Ship weighed anchor and shaped a course Northward under light airs. As we worked our way further into the middle of Hervey Bay the wind picked up and veered to the SE, which allowed all three square sails to be set. We took advantage of the great sailing weather to conduct a series of demonstration tacks where the different watches rotate positions and all hands are able to observe the practical application of the sailing theory lecture they received a few days ago. For most of the afternoon YOUNG ENDEAVOUR sailed under ten sails in absolute perfect conditions. A
brilliant sunset only added to the scene (sorry - no green flash) and that has been further complimented a short time ago by an equally
brilliant moon rise.

As I write this the watch-on-deck are busy working aloft furling the Fisherman sail. They have proven that they are capable of working
safely and efficiently aloft and are now permitted to climb without a Staff Crew member with them. Command day is fast approaching and the
Youth Crew are keen to absorb any knowledge about the various aspects of sailing the Ship that they can. Overnight we will continue Northward in Hervey Bay with the intention of anchoring in Bustard Bay tomorrow afternoon.

YOUNG ENDEAVOUR fact file: In January 2003 the Ship will celebrate her 15th anniversary of arriving in Australia. YOUNG ENDEAVOUR was
>presented as a gift to Australia by the people of the United Kingdom in order to commemorate the bicentennial of the European colonization of Australia. Construction began in May of 1986 in
Lowestoft, England and the long delivery voyage to Sydney began in Aug 1987.

Thought of the day: I regard it as the foremost task of education to insure the survival of these qualities: an enterprising curiosity, an undefeatable spirit, tenacity in pursuit, readiness for sensible self-denial and above all, compassion. Kurt Hahn.

Yours, Aye

John Cowan

Dr Sue here again,

Yet again we have been having the same weather with light winds that the Invesitgator experienced 200 years ago. For us it has been
a wonderful treat, cruising slowly with a full pyramid of sails above, but Flinder's would have found it frustrating. Another difference between the two voyages is that we are sailing alone
(except for a yacht that stayed with us partway across Hervey Bay,what a view they had !!). The Investigator was a faster ship than the Lady Nelson, so Flinders had to continually fall back to keep the two ships together.

Another difference is the light house we can see flashing on Lady Musgrave Island. Flinders knew the island was there ahead of him, as were the others in the vicinity, since they were mapped by Captain Ebenezer Bunker from the whaler Albion (an American who lived in Sydney) in the 1790's. He must have been a little nervous as he approached the southern part of the notorious Great Barrier reef.

We are now sailing through the night, moving closer to Flinders actual path, by daylight the landmarks noted in his log should be clearly visible.

Until then, its a glorious night on deck, and not hard to see why Flinders and other young men of his time \ran away to sea\". A tall ship under the moon ......
Dr Sue

Youth Crew Entry from Sara Johnson, 22 from Brisbane.

Hello all on Terra firma!

Again our onboard prayers to Brother Nunzie, the wind god, appear to have been answered. The Youth Crew spent the morning offering praise to the wind god as we sat idle in the middle of Hervey Bay. Last time we prayed to the wind god, a number on board with unbalanced inner ears suffered greatly for 24 hours. Tonight, our prayers have been answered with wind and swell appearing yet again. Most of the Youth Crew have acclimatised to sailing life now and will appreciate the sailing experience from here on in.

Setting all 10 sails onboard today proved another challenge for the Youth Crew however the results were well worth it - seeing a tall ship under full sail is a brilliant sight! All of this sail handling should put us in good stead for our upcoming Command Day when we get to take over the ship. All those back at home - keep your fingers
crossed for us!

We're on the graveyard shift at the moment, midnight to 4am, and have just finished taking down the Main Gaff Topsail under the occasionally) watchful eye of Watch leader, Rags (\"Come on, you can't talk the sail down\"), and Officer of the Watch, Chooka (\"Sleep till your hungry, eat till you're tired\"). As Captain John said to us earlier when everyone was called up on deck at midnight to tack the ship away from Lady Musgrave Island, \"What else would you rather be
doing at midnight on a Saturday night?\" This voyage has given everyone a chance to reflect on their lives back home, even at midnight on a Saturday night!

PS Who won the Tri-nations Rugby game tonight? Go the Wallabies! Family and friends, I'll see you soon with many great stories and photos to share!

Love Sara