Voyage name: 
V05/21 Newcastle to Brisbane
06 Jun - 16 Jun 2021
30 09s
153 23e
Wind: NW at 25 knots Weather: Overcast and rain Sea: Moderate Course: 016 Speed: 4 knots Location: East of Woolgoolga.
Ahoy shipmates. Day 5 and hello Coffs Harbour. After a steady night motor-sailing up the coast (damn those northerlies!), we arrived in Coffs at 0800 this morning, anchoring in the sheltered waters of the harbour. And the rest, as they say, is history (see below). After departing at 1500 this afternoon, we are once again punching in to a stiff north-westerly of around 25 knots…slow going for now but we are expecting conditions to ease over the next 24 hours. I’ll sign off now and hand you over to Harry and Will. Until tomorrow, fair winds, Cap K.--------- Last night was our second round of night watches on the sea, and it was marked by a far greater understanding of what was required of us and what needed to be done. We each knew the requirements of each role thrust upon us and moved like a well-oiled machine when it came to rotating jobs. A surprise role of this night watch came when two of us were needed to climb the main mast to tie up the main sail. This proved to be quite a challenge, as although we were blessed with nicer weather than the previous night, the wind and the rocking of the boat continued to be foes when trying to climb up a mast and tie up a sail. However, with strong encouragement from our watch leader and each other, the job was done without a hitch and we came away with greater self-confidence and resilience. We were also lucky to each receive a crash course in navigation during the night watch; the skills we learned will not only be critical on command day but also helped us to appreciate the importance of the work done behind the scenes on a tall ship. The early morning saw us arrive at Coffs Harbour, a picturesque town with plenty of room for us to drop anchor and plan a trip onto land. With the anchor down and spirits high, the crew chowed down on a lovely continental breakfast. Our stomachs full, we prepared the RHIB for travel to solid, stable ground. Each watch was taken one by one to the shore, where everyone had some trouble being stable with so much time on the sea. Once everyone was firmly on land, we made a ring on the beach for some games. First, dodgeball was played, with lots of laughs and some solid efforts. Then it was down to business; tug of war. With sand in our hands, ropes held tightly, the teams battled fiercely to come out on top, but in the end it was the might of blue crew which won the bout. With the games over it was time for some free time. Most the crew went to the shops to purchase an assortment of lollies, others bought a suitcase and Hawaiian style shirts. After shopping, the crew headed to the jetty, after a long walk out, most of the crew stood bravely at the edge of the jetty. With a proud countdown, the group leaped from the jetty and braved the chilly water. After the fun was over, we hurried over to the RHIB and were whisked back to the boat, and the seas. After a warm, if brief, shower the crew tucked in to another fantastic meal. It was then time for happy hour, the happiest hour of the day. With music playing and mops mopping the ship was cleaned thoroughly. The afternoon was a mix of team activities and downtime. With a few sails needing setting and furling. With night watches on again, most the crew slept after their lamb or prawn feast, and under the setting sun, the crew, and their ship, sailed up the coast and into adventure. (Hi Mum, Dad and Millie) (Shout out to Soph and my family (you’re too numerous to name individually) Harrigan and Will
Sometimes you will never know the value of something, until it becomes a memory. Dr Seuss