38° 47' North
9° 37' West

Currently located 6nm to the west of Cape Roca motor sailing against strong 20-25kt northerly winds with a 1.5m NNW swell. Current speed is 4.5kts and the temperature is 15 degrees. 

Hi Everyone,


\\\"LucyWelcome to day 39 of our voyage. Over the past 24hrs we have continued to battle these strong northerly headwinds as we head north along the west coast of Portugal. Despite the strong winds the swell is not to bad and the small number of World Voyagers that were suffering mild cases of seasickness have come good today.



Whilst on watch and struggling for some thing to write about in tonight’s log Lindsey suggested to Bubblegum Watch why don’t you write about what you would be doing if you were back home on a Monday night. So with this in mind, they have written a little about their day onboard the Ship but also added the extra with what they would be doing if not sailing the Atlantic Ocean. It’s something a little different but it gives you an insight into life away from Young Endeavour from our World Voyagers. Enjoy!



Until tomorrow, take care

Yours Aye

Captain Gav

Captains Log: 01 June 15



Ahoy Maties!



Sarah and Pip here from Bubblegum watch!



Last night, the bubblegummers saw the day out with an 8pm to midnight watch, where we completed our Watch Leader’s Challenge of setting the Storm Trisail. Some of us have done this easily in the past, so to make it a little more fun and complicated in the dark, we chose to complete the task with no vocal communication! In a sea state of four, with some rocky-rolly swells, it was a lot of fun, bouncing around the sea, soaked through from the sea spray with communication mostly via interpretive dance! There were a few slips and trips and feeding the fish along the way, but the challenge was successful.



After a few bumpy hours of sleep, we awoke to a song chosen by the morning watch and a lovely breakfast which was followed by a quick morning brief, with celebrity Sailmaster Nikki calling the shots. That was then followed by the happiest hour of the day and we were back on watch from 8am to midday.



Time passed (the days are blending together out here!) until ropies was announced after a siesta. It was fun running around the deck whilst the ship was still rolling around. After ropies, Dr. Nick offered a Personal Development session in the topic of Emotional Intelligence.



Fast forward to dinner, and Bubblegum is now back on watch to give you insight into our lives and what we would be doing on a typical Monday if we weren’t in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean…



Pip: If not sailing an impressive Navy tall ship from Turkey to England (as you do!), my engineering background would have me working at one of my company’s affiliates in SE Asia. The day would be spent either at the office in meetings, typing away on the computer and/or in site tours. I travel about 80% of the time, so after work, I might try to hit the gym before exploring a new restaurant for dinner (or perusing the room service menu!), potentially sneaking in some sightseeing along the way. Depending on the time zone, try to catch family and friends on Skype for a quick goodnight.



Sarah: There could be a number of possibilities as to what I could or would be doing back home. A Monday for me, depending on the week could consist of me sitting at home studying for assignments and/or procrastinating the day away as I don’t have any units on a Monday. I could be still at Uni, helping and working for my Student Union as Enviro Director. Or I could be at work, collecting Koala Scats, spotting Koala’s and survey’s plots of forest during the day. However where would I rather be? Nowhere else but exactly here, sailing the Atlantic Ocean with some amazing crewmates and friends on my one and only tall ship. What do I miss about home? Nothing, being out here is a whole different thing to life back home. 



Dan: Oh Monday, Monday, what I’d be doing today if I wasn’t on the Young Endeavour? At the time of writing (6pm London time), I’d still be fast asleep, either enjoying a sleep into 7am or be getting up in the next hour to start my job. INSTEAD, right now I was taking down the storm jib, trying to stay dry as the ship plough through the Atlantic Ocean, not stopping for waves big or small. Admittedly at times I thought what I got myself into, which no doubt everyone on this voyage has thought at some point after each port visit, but I realise that being on the Young Endeavour for one of the longer voyages (Apparently the 3rd longest) it means that I have turned what could have been an average year into an awesome year and it’s barely June. Additionally, I finally solved the riddle of How Many Rabbits Around The Hole. It took me 5 years (when I did my last voyage) but I like to think of myself as a postman: I always deliver, even if it’s a little later than expected.



Ann: When not sailing around the Mediterranean or Atlantic Ocean on a Monday, I would’ve had an early start for the gym before work, fed my chookies and asked them nicely to lay many eggs for me. Had a coffee and bounced into work (HACC Allied Health team) and promptly instigated morning tea or afternoon timetables. As one of the travelling podiatrists on the team I would have attended to the foot problems of the Southern Downs in Qld. I hope you’re all keeping you feet warm in the cooler weather! After work I’d race home to see how many eggs my chookies had laid and possibly berate them for laying none. The girls would get a bit of roam around the backyard until dinner. Monday nights are perhaps not the most exciting nights but I do miss watching the 7:30 Report (Hi Leigh!) and Australian Story with my housemate. After this adventure on the Young Endeavour I will most definitely appreciate a spacious shower that doesn’t require a grab rail and a bunk that doesn’t tilt or roll. It is however all worth it! Keep living the dream people!



Alison: What can I say, A Pirate’s Monday is somewhat different to an Engineer’s Monday. Normally I would be waking up to my early 4:31am alarm for bootcamp, then madly rushing to get in the car for my hour drive to work. Being a Monday I would have most likely made a sensational cake to take to work that we would have devoured midmorning!! He-he! My Mondays usually consist of a mixture of work both in the office and in the field and there is of course the usual hilarious Monday memes being emailed around and a few coffees to get through the day! My afternoon/evens consist mostly of calling or facetiming family and friends, cooking dinner and being the grandma that I am, having an early night!!!



Jared : If I was at home on the farm and not on a 44m sailing ship my day would be quite different it would consist of a few different things depending on the time of year from cutting and bailing hay to fixing fences and Yards to pasture improvements and regrowth control, also mustering and drenching cattle and immunising calves.



Lachy: Of a Monday night, the work day would be coming to a very slow end. I’d be packing up my microscope, with one eye on the surf reports. A quick drive home to the beach, grab the board, whack on some wax and hit some frothin’ tubes. Id be sitting in the surf whackin’ the lip and getting pitted, sooo pitted. Life at sea isn’t so dissimilar if you think about it. Only the board size changes; 5’3’’ fish to a 44m tall ship, riding the open ocean waves! YEW!



Jacob (Yak): If I were to be home on a Monday evening I’d be playing pool with my best mate. Soaking up the vibes and chasing the title for the week. After a day of cruising and getting salty, we’d have a quick rinse off at the local pub and make tracks for a “you beaut” home cooked meal, and some study if I’m up to it.



Lindsey (Ships Engineer & On Watch Watchleader: My watch asked me to add what I would be doing if back in Sydney. Day would have started with walk round the Harbour and coffee at Circ Quay before walking through the Botanical Gardens and a day at the office at Garden Island or HMAS Waterhen dealing with issues associated with the ships maintenance and problems she would be having on the other side of the world. After work it’s off to pool to swim laps getting ready for Sydney Half Ironman Tri in November. After getting out of the pool it would have been off to the North side of the Harbour for a Run approx 10km’s, Beers/wine & Dinner with my friends (about 50 to 60 of them) from the Sydney Hash House Harriers “The Posh” After dinner I would have been driven home by an amazing full of life 92yr old by the name of Don Grenville or “Darwin Don” as his friends call him. Don would have spent the trip either excitingly asking about the ship or telling me about his next overseas trip @ 92 he is still travelling the world for months at a time each year on his own. A true inspiration and a life well lived and to the fullest. You have to admire a bloke who is that positive about life he buys a new car at the age of 90 and a half. Upon returning home it would have been a routine nightly stroll with my daughter Kelsey that would have included ice-cream & coffee. Discussing our days and catching up over the days and weekends events which would have included talking about St Kilda’s win over Brisbane.



Shout outs:

Hey guys, Sarah here. Quick shout out to Mum, James, Wens, and Gma and Bpa again, and to everyone else back home. I miss you all, but not looking forward to coming home just yet ;) Lots of hugs all round and I send my love to everyone. James – glad that you’ve got everything sorted, don’t forget to buy my ticket to the concert for me pleeease. :P Looking forwards to seeing you in London Bro. Love ou all xoxoxo Sarah out.



Hey all! Lachy here! Hope everything is good back home! Loving it out here on the sea! Love to all!



To my wonderful husband of six months. It has been an amazing 6 months for me sailing the world. Although you have been in my thoughts the entire time, I wish I could have done it with you at my side. I cannot wait to see you again soon (only 12 more sleeps). You are the most significant person in my life, I miss and love you. Forever; your Jodes xxx