29 Jun - 9 Jul 16
23 50 S
151 19 E
Currently at anchor in Gladstone Harbour and enjoying light SE winds with nil swell. Current temperature is 14 degrees.
Hi Everyone, Welcome to Young Endeavours fourth voyage of our 2016 Circumnavigation of Australia. This voyage will see us sail from Gladstone to Airlie Beach which is only just over 300nm but what a fantastic stretch of Australian Coastline to sail. The Young Endeavour Staff Crew for this voyage are as follows: Captain – Gav Sail Master – Taff Navigator – Evan BOATSO – Jordo Red Watch Leader – Kyle (Assisted by James) White Watch Leader – Marcos (Assisted by Loz) Blue Watch Leader – Megan Chef – Jenko Engineer - Danny The voyage commenced at 1500 this afternoon when the new Youth Crew joined Young Endeavour berthed alongside at the Gladstone’s Marina Service Wharf. Once onboard and all gear stowed, everyone mustered on deck for my welcome address and Staff Crew introductions. On completion we farewelled family and friends then made preparations to get underway. Given that all the Youth Crew had arrived on time we managed to depart early at 1545 and given that this was Sail Master Taffy’s second last voyage I let him take the ship off the berth and manoeuvre us out of the Marina which he did extremely well. Once clear of the marina we shaped a course to the east and then conducted our 6nm passage to our planned anchorage at Quion No 1 coming safely to anchor at 1620. During this passage the Watch Leaders conducted some ‘ice breaker’ activities and tours of the ship. Dinner followed with Chef Jenko impressing everyone with the first of many great meals that he will cook for us throughout this voyage. Once we had cleaned up from dinner the Youth Crew were again mustered up on deck where Taffy and I conducted Captains and Sail Master Chats and once completed commenced some deck safety with their respective Watch Leaders. Normally on completion of these activities we would go straight into first night climbs but given the distance that most of the Youth Crew have had to travel today to get to Gladstone we have decided to defer these climbs until tomorrow morning ensuring that the Youth Crew will be well rested prior to undertaking this activity. Given the current weather forecast it is our intention to remain at anchor here in Gladstone Harbour overnight then weigh anchor early tomorrow afternoon, conduct our pilotage out of Gladstone Harbour then shape a course to the ENE. Until tomorrow evening, take care. Yours Aye Captain Gav