37° 4' South
147° 54' East
Weather: Wind SW'ly 15-20kts. Low swell, cloud cover 60%, occasional precipitation
Last night fulfilled the final dash to Australia! We sighted Gabo Island at about 1730 and by about 1900 we were into NSW waters. As soon as we crossed the NSW Victorian border, the air became cleaner, the waves flattened out and the wind backed around to the south west, proving that NSW is indeed gods country! We anchored off Eden at 0042, but the night was not over. Last night was Bear Exercise night so all watches kept their watches the same as normal. The Bear exercise is an initiative based exercise where watches are asked to conduct an evolution that they've not done before with no assistance from their watch leader.

Today was all about getting sea legs back again and after morning brief, a good round of Happy Hour and a beautiful BBQ lunch on board, it was time to go ashore! This was the chance to discover that the only guaranteed method of curing sea sickness (sit under a tree!) did indeed work! After coke, coke and more coke all Youth Crew returned to the ship for a well deserved dinner and the only movie shown during a voyage.

Below are comments from some of the Youth Crew:

I need to start by saying I climbed all the way to the top, even though i was PETRIFIED!!! and all the bruises were worth it! Couldn't have done it with out the fantastic support of the crew! Thanks!!! We were all looking forward to get on to dry land today, after too many days of feeling sick from the crazy weather. The whale museum in Eden, was interesting but very graphic, unfortunately it left most of my team (blue) feeling even more sick, from the disturbing photos of whales being hunted over the decades. On a happier note, the walk into Eden was amusing as everyone struggled to walk a straight line, and had wonky sea legs (the advise about sitting under a tree came a bit too late). The phone home to mum and dad was a highlight, and yes i can get up at \stupid\" o'clock in the morning and be civil. The coolest thing so far has been learning how to navigate and plot the Endeavour's course using traditional and modern methods, which is challenging at times. Going to bed now, cause you have to grab sleep when ever you can, don't get much on a good day! Over and out........

Well I guess the best way to start when commenting on Young Endeavour is THIS IS AWESOME! (of course ignoring those times of severe sea sickness). We have had a pretty interesting journey so far, ripping sails, and fairly crazy weather (at leasts by my standards anyway) has kept us all on our toes. Sleep is a luxury that I gave up on fairly early into the voyage; the rough seas, and the constant wake up \"shakes\" throughout the night, make for a bumpy/rolley and disjointed nights rest. This has been such a steep learning curve (I am sure I can speak for the majority of the youth crew when I say this), there are so.... many lines, and sheets (which I would have formally referred to as ropes) and different sails; but by the funnest thing to learn has been how to climb aloft, and go out onto the yards (talk about over coming nerves).

The People on board are however, the essence of what young endeavour is all about. I can see that after only these few days on board, we have all made some really great friends. The littlest things are the most fun, drawing marine animal related caricatures of people on board, singing songs with Suz at two in the morning, potato footy on deck, trivia with Simon and telling fact / fiction stories with Jay. But the most impressive thing I will walk away from this voyage with is my assortment of colourful bruises. After falling out of the shower, being bowled over by Toni in the Cafe, a few self inflicted slides along the ground, and bumps into door frames I am pretty impressed with my range, although I am sure when I go ashore the locals will be wondering who is the one whose been beating me. Well when your watch is at four in the morning like mine is tonight, you need to get to bed when you can, so good night everyone...

Well so far so much has happened upon this voyage, it's day 6 and I'm not sure really where to start so it's probably best to start from day 1. We started in Hobart, and to be honest when I saw everyone and the ship I had no idea what to expect. My friend Cortney had been on a previous voyage from Cairns and touring the Hamilton islands and he had described his trip as being 'the best experience ever\". From those words and the hundreds of pictures he showed me i was pretty excited! However from day one until about day 3 I think that my perception was a little different. I was pretty sure of myself that i was one of those people that never got sea sick but I can tell you that it was a pretty rough ride up the coast of Tassie and I found my self on numerous occasions looking into a white paper bag. Not too mention watching other members of my crew leaning over a rocky ship hoping that their inside wouldn't come out! Buuuuut After about the 3rd day i had to stop and laugh at a moment where I felt myself about to be sick. I guess thats the attitude that I'd started to build up on this voyage.

Going on I'd like to highlight that this became a very small and insignificant part of my voyage and something that became a thing of the past for everyone on board. Now fit and healthy I' d just like to say that my experience so far had been absolutely amazing. I've had an awesome time and most of all have enjoyed being able to climb the mast and yard which has been heaps fun and also kind of scary at the same time! Also learning the ropes has been a little difficult but it's been fun learning to trim and tack the sails and respond to all the navy jargon that goes along with it.

All the staff members are great too! That's made a massive difference to the tempo of the ship. They've put on barbecues with Chad's famous cooking and provided useful and sometimes quirky activities that everyone has gotten so much enjoyment from. Even in times of stress (for example when the jib sail broke) the staff always managed to have a laugh and make it a humorous event. And not too mention our fantastic captain Hibbo. He has helped put everything together along with the unique and bubbly personalities of the rest of our staff. But to prevent myself from going on too much I'd just like to elaborate that this has so far and will be a life changing experience for me and I know that after this voyage I will walk away with a new outlook on life as well as the contacts of so many wonderful friends that had become my family on this ship. I feel so lucky to be apart of that fantastic experience!!!

Until tomorrow...

Ian Hibbard
Voyage Captain "