Captain's Log
23 March 2000

Alongside in Adelaide

Yesterday morning our guests embarked and we sailed from Outer Harbour at 1000. The youth crew were excellent hosts and they ensured that our new friends were made welcome and involved them in all aspects of sailing the ship. The wind freshened to 30 kts which made for a wild ride. The squeals of delight made me think that I was on a roller coaster. Our newest crew members all had a ball and they were sad to leave the ship after we had berthed back alongside at 1300.The weather had started to turn nasty and pour with rain delaying the required harbour furls of the square sails. End of voyage talks were conducted by each watch while Nathan (XO) and I kept a close watch on the deteriorating weather. A strong SW change was due in later in the afternoon and the thought of being on a lee shore with 30-40kts of wind was not very appealing. Remaining on the Outer Harbour wharf was not a great idea either as the storm surge would reach us there. I decided to sail at 1530 and seek refuge further up the Port Adelaide River. Just as we were about to depart we were hit by the sou’westerly change with wind gusting over 40kts. The change in wind direction actually helped our cause and we got away cleanly and commenced motoring up the river. With the wind behind us and with engines at slow ahead we were making over 10kts. We berthed about 30 minutes later at a more sheltered wharf and settled down for a comfortable albeit damp evening. The rain continued for most of the night which regrettably caused the cancellation of the end of voyage concert.This morning it was up at 0630 to give the ship a good scrub down and then the youth crew were given time to pack up their gear in preparation for leaving the ship. The ship sailed at 0930 for the quick trip up the river to our final berth getting alongside at 1000. For our arrival, the yards were manned and the national anthem was sung with great gusto as we approached the wharf.I had the pleasure of presenting voyage certificates to the youth crew and the Order of Australia Emblem to Danny Jones, a local young man from Adelaide. Voyage 6/00 has been a lot of fun and each of us overcame some significant challenges (me included).We are now looking forward to some time here in Adelaide and especially the youth crew reunion that is being held on Saturday evening. It’s always good to catch up with old shipmates and swap a few yarns. On Monday we embark the next youth crew for the voyage to Melbourne. Chat to you then.


34° 50' South / 138° 30'


Alongside at McLaren Wharf, Port Adelaide Inner Harbour Wind 180/10kts, Temp 17, Overcast.