Currently at anchor at Morton Island and experiencing strong 18-23kt NNW winds with very little swell. The current temperature is 16 degrees.
Welcome to Young Endeavours eleventh voyage for 2017 and the second of our QLD voyages. I have just returned from some leave in Europe and am giving Captain Mike a well deserved break for this voyage. As usual I am really excited to be back onboard Young Endeavour and in particular sailing this special part of the Australian Coast.
The Young Endeavour Staff Crew for this voyage are as follows:
Captain – Gav
Sail Master – James
Navigator – Harry
BOATSO – Evan
Red Watch Leader – Brendon
White Watch Leader – Lauren
Blue Watch Leader – Kyle
Chef – Keely
Engineers - Allan
Super - Janelle
The voyage commenced at 1510 this afternoon when our new Youth Crew joined Young Endeavour berthed alongside at HMAS Moreton which is located within the old Bulimba Army Barracks. Once onboard and all gear stowed, everyone mustered on deck for my welcome address and Staff Crew introductions. On completion we farewelled family and friends and quickly made preparations to get underway so that we could depart our berth before the forecasted strong northerly winds kicked in making it to difficult for us to get off our berth. With these preparations complete we safely departed our berth at 1600 and commenced our pilotage out of the Brisbane River. During this pilotage the Watch Leaders conducted some ‘ice breaker activities’ and ships tours. Dinner followed with Chef Keely producing the first of many great meals for this voyage.
At 1730 we entered Moreton Bay then shaped a course for the east of the bay and our planned anchorage at Moreton Island. During our passage across Moreton Bay we conducted Captain and Sail Master Chats followed by Full Value Contracts prior to coming safely to anchor just to the north east of the Tangalooma Resort at 2030. Once at anchor The Watch Leaders conducted some deck safety training which would normally be followed by first night climbs but given our late anchorage we have decided to defer these climbs until tomorrow morning ensuring that the Youth Crew will be well rested prior to undertaking this activity.
Given the current weather forecast it is our intention to remain at anchor at Tangalooma overnight then weigh anchor early tomorrow afternoon, conduct our pilotage out of Morton Bay then shape a course to the north and start making best speed to Lady Musgrave Island, which is currently planed to be our next anchorage.
Until tomorrow evening, take care.