Weather - fine, Wind from NW at 20kn, swell from NE at 0.5 m, Temp - 23 deg. C
Welcome to Day 3 of the voyage. We had a relatively quiet night from a weather perspective. The winds, as predicted, abated significantly around 0600 and then we experienced some significant wind shifts while 3 small cold fronts passed over us, at the end of which it steadied from the west at 15 knots. Accordingly we clewed-up the square sails and set the fore-and-aft sails.
As usual, the Sail master woke everyone at 0700 and then after breakfast it was time for Morning Brief. Sail master Adam briefed on his plan for the day, followed by Navigator Kyle, who spoke about where we were and how far we had travelled overnight and where we were going from here. ‘Salty the Seadog’, alias Brendon again made use of some very dubious Staffy acting to demonstrate the origin of the expression ‘to Shanghai someone’. After I gave my quote of the day on Loyalty from former US Army General and US Secretary of State Colin Powell, the crew launched into ‘Happy Hour’.
After lunch Brett held episode 2 of ‘Rope Races’ which tasked the watches to name as many of the yachts participating in the Sydney to Hobart race as they could. The winner, which again was judged by John and Bruce, our CYCA Radio Operators, was the watch that had the most correct named boats.
At about 1400 the wind veered north-westerly and we again set the squares. By 1800 it had backed to westerly again so once again we were on a close reach with the fore-and-aft sails set. At 2000 the wind started to abate and we were forced to start our engines and motor sail to maintain the required speed of advance.
Although we had planned to anchor in Wineglass Bay this morning, we decided to delay this until after our morning radio sched tomorrow due to the fact that we overtook the back quarter of the race competitors overnight. In order that we could fulfil our radio relay responsibilities to those competitors, it was decided to wait until they were closer to Hobart before we proceeded to anchor.
Our plan for the remainder of the race is to anchor in Coles Bay on the western side of the Freycinet Peninsula at approximately 0900 tomorrow and then put the crew ashore for a couple of hours to undertake a walk over the ridge and down into Wineglass Bay, before returning to the Ship. After that we will weigh anchor and commence our transit to the Derwent River overnight tomorrow night. We will anchor near Hobart on Sat 30th, for the night, before berthing at Macquarie Wharf at 1000 on Sun 31.